Back on the River
The water was still higher than normal for February but had lost all it's colour which had also been preventing us from chasing the Grayling.
With the levels being higher than normal we decided to czech nymph as there was also a cold easterly wind and obviously no sign of any fly life on the surface.
I started with a size 12 tungsten nymph with a bidoz body on the point a size 18 pink nymph on the first dropper and a gold ribbed hairs ear on the top.
I started by fishing along the margins as the current in midstream was quite fast , after a couple of runs through I was in to a nice Grayling of around a pound and a half. Two or three casts later I was in again this one slightly heavier, I suddenly had this feeling that this was going to be one of those days that don't come around often enough.Sure enough another take but this one just stuck on the bottom I thought initially that I had been snagged but no it was definitely a fish and a large one at that.I shouted to my oppo who was fishing downstream of me to give me a hand netting it and he immediately waded out of the river and came hurrying along the bank with cries of don't lose it.
As soon as he had shouted one of the largest grayling I had seen on this river leapt out of the water shook its head and flopped back onto the surface and away. We both stood there speechless as it was definitely around the Three pound mark if not heavier.I did notice however that it had taken the middle dropper which was the size 18 pink nymph with pink tungsten bead this had also taken the two previous fish.
After I had calmed down we continued to fish down river with my oppo also tying on a pink nymph which was definitely doing its stuff.
Between us we landed around a dozen grayling with three or four around the two and half pound mark with the largest fish of the day easily a three pound grayling caught by my oppo ,yes you 've guessed it on the pink nymph.
At around two thirty in the afternoon they just switched off,this happens on many occasions and I have no idea why as there was no change in conditions perhaps someone could enlighten me as to why this should be.
After what had seemed an eternity away from the rivers this had made up for all the waiting.
Let's hope the weather stays dry and we can fit in a couple of more outings before the 16th March.